It’s only fitting then that every bedroom should be as comfortable as possible, and as homey and welcoming for a good night’s rest.
No matter how big or how small the bedroom is, whether it is the master’s, the kid’s room, or the guest’s, it is always important to properly design and give the room a certain view. The bedroom is a special place, a personal sanctuary, and it needs a certain style decorum depending on what you are going for in the totality of your house’s design.
Well that’s the idea anyways. The idea of a nice bedroom is certainly appealing, so here are three pillars of renovation tips for every man to start-up a nice change in the bedroom.
Reminder: It is always wise to seek the aid of your contractor before beginning a project. They are professionals and can validate your idea as doable or the opposite. Prevent renovation disasters happening through conferring with them.
Colors emanate a certain feeling. Blues are for calming down, reds are for sensuality, yellows for cheeriness and so on, so forth. Accentuating the bedroom is all about color choices.
Warm Colors – Consists of reds, yellows and oranges, and every hue in between. It makes the room more crowded, and attracts the eye to the wall. These colors are good for large, dimly-lit spaces.
- Yellows – Brightens the mood and can magnify lighting tenfold.
- Reds – Warm, decadent and alluring. Brings in a sophisticated form of elegance with the right shade.
- Oranges – Depending on shade, oranges can bring in a feel of security and safety. It also is the color of muted warmth and is best for cozy lighting.
- Blues – Any shade of light blue creates a calming, soothing effect. Darker shades tend to be gentle and unimposing, but the overall feel of the shades tends to create an unassuming vibe.
- Violets – Violets are colors for royalty. Whether done in bold palettes or soft hues, violets exude a sense of easy elegance. However, violets are tricky colors to pull off as it can turn very in-your-face with the wrong combinations.
- Greens – Warm, earthy and fresh – these are the feelings invoked by the color, whether moss and its kinds or spring and chartreuse.
Neutral Colors – Whites, creams and blacks. They tend to be the safe choices for any room.
- Whites – Makes the space looks more airy and spacious, Makes furniture colors pop.
- Black – Understated grace and elegance. Can be gloomy and spooky.
- Creams – The most common of choices, aside from browns, although both colors are both used widely.
Insider Tip: You can paint one side of the wall (a wall with utmost importance, perhaps) to be the stark opposite of your color theme. For example: When your main color is black, you can choose a small section of the wall (the one which your headboard is leaning for illustrative purposes) to paint it red or any color of your choice. Ask your contractors about suggestions or you can direct them to the idea so that they can throw in some suggestions to further your cause.
Depending on the theme you like to achieve, gather your furniture to be either be:
- Goes along with the color theme
Accentuation does not only mean you throw in a couple of colors to brighten the room – it means carefully selecting the pieces which work well with the environment you are going after. Remember that even the best piece of sofa in garish green, however minimalistic it could be, would not blend well in a bedroom with an ancient aesthetic.
- Goes opposite the color theme
Accentuation also means that you break what is expected from the norm. For example: Using an orange sofabed with black walls instead of a darker-toned sheet is not only a great idea to make the color pop. It also takes away the seriousness of the environment you are creating.
Bed and Sheets
- On a stark white bed, place pillows covered in popping hues. Pastel colors are “it” choices.
- For a black wall, choose a quilted bed sheet with patched colors.
- For a colored wall, choose a daring hue which can contrast the color in your pillow cases.
- Do not put too much colors, designs and patterns on your bed.
- Decide on a specific color theme for your bed that goes well with your bedroom environment.
- Do not hesitate to research online, ask for suggestions and collate ideas. The more options you have, the better.
- Narrow your choices down to three and choose from that group. Or you can piece together the three top ideas and create a singular style of your own.
Lightings are crucial to any room. Chandeliers, lampshades and sconces are essential to complete an environment. Whether it is overhead light fixtures or lampshades, it is imperative to choose the right products for the right reasons.
General tip: As much as possible, choose lighting fixtures which are energy-efficient and does nothing to increase heat in the atmosphere. Consider this the green side of your bedroom. Not only you are giving an effort to save the environment, you are presenting your room in its best light alongside it.
Generally, a dimmed lamp is the most preferable type for bedside accompaniment. The hazy glow which these kinds of lamps emit is preferable for bedside reading and lighting for sleeping purposes. Blue lights are a no-no for bedside lanterns. They keep the brain from shutting down and make the eye awake. If possible, get a lamp which is energy-star compliant.
There are commercial lamps available today which can be adjusted – this means you can increase or decrease the light source depending on your mood or the work you are doing. Choose the ones with a “candle” option, as this is the kind of light apt for sleeping.
Fairy lights became a staple on the bedroom after the “not a love story but a story about love” movie 500 Days of Summer where the lead girl’s bed is designed with yellow fairy lights lined up in the railings of her bed.
To properly pull off fairy lights, you and your contractor need to devise a plan to strategically place the lights in locations which can bring a subdued glow upon the bedroom. Whether it is on the headboard, or the wall above the headboard, or anywhere else, the trick is to properly mount the fixture so as not to decrease or hamper the flow of the bedroom.
Choose the ones with a low wattage to prevent “too bright” lighting. Play with the colors of your room in order to determine how bright you would want your bulbs be. And how many are you gonna need. One central lighting fixture is incredibly energy-efficient, two are acceptable but three or four might be too much. Again, choose energy-star compliant bulbs.
Tip: Remember that the color of your wall will either absorb or reflect the heat and light of your bulbs. Warm colors tend to reflect light while darker shades absorb it.
More tips: Choose a primary source of lighting, preferably an average-sized chandelier with both white and yellow bulbs and accentuate with little lighting fixtures throughout the room. Pendant lights are also stunning lighting installations. Ask your contractors about this type of fixture.
Clean-Up and Organization
There is no defeating a clean and organized bedroom. No matter how sophisticated, classy, well-designed and well-thought out a bedroom is, clutter and mess will surely not paint a good picture. Cleaning up the bedroom is different from organizing it. Let’s break down the two:
- Rid the bedroom of stuffs like chargers lying around, clothes, and other unnecessary things.
- Keep your bed in a pristine condition. No crumpled sheets, no misplaced pillows.
- Assign a trash can.
- Check for dusts.
- Keep things organized and arranged.
- Shoes are stacked.
- Clothes are arranged and organized by their fabric and type.
- Socks, underwears, and handkerchiefs are piled and in their proper places.
- Books are arranged and placed on a shelf.
- Trash is divided into biodegradable, non-biodegradable, and special waste bins.
- Harmony is achieved.
There you have it – accentuate, fix the lighting, clean up and organize. The Holy trinity of creating a bedroom environment that will last you a couple of years, or until the next renovation process.
Last tip of advice: Consult with your contractor and interior designer on what you want to achieve for your room. Be specific, creative and give instructions as you see fit. Don’t hesitate to call-out an addition if you haven’t requested for it. The key here is for you to communicate clearly what you want.